%> Nevada Riches: The Land and People of the Silver State
Nevada Government & Politics
World War II & Post-War
(1940-1964)

Fallon Naval Air Station

The Naval Air Station at Fallon was first established as an army base in 1942.  The following year, 1943, it was converted to an auxiliary station for the United States Navy.  Planes from the station flew torpedo runs over Pyramid Lake, practiced gunnery maneuvers in northeastern Churchill County, and engaged in dive-bomb practice over Frenchman's Flat.  It was reportedly the largest inland airport in the western U.S. during the war, but the base closed at the end of the war.  The station was reactivated during the Korean Conflict and has remained open since that time.  Pilots utilize the bombing and electronic-warfare ranges for training.
 

Photo Credit:
Special Collections, University of Nevada, Reno, Library