Octavius Decatur Gass,
who had mined briefly at El Dorado Canyon, settled at the ruins of the
Old Mormon Fort at Las Vegas in the by the end of 1865. He established
the Los Vegas Ranch there ("Los" Vegas was used to
avoid confusion with Las Vegas, New Mexico.) With assistance from
Southern Paiutes, he grew crops, raised livestock, and sold supplies to
nearby mining camps. In 1881, he could not repay a loan from Archibald
Stewart and lost control of the ranch to Stewart, a Pioche businessman.
Conrad Kiel, Gass's friend from Ohio, operated the other ranch in Las Vegas
Valley just a couple of miles away.
Special Collections, University
of Nevada Las Vegas Library